Interested in joining our Team of volunteers?
Do you think all dogs are individuals?
Do you live in the US?
Do you enjoy working to protect the human canine bond?
Do you enjoy talking on the phone?
Do you enjoy spending time with like-minded humans in social settings talking about important issues?
Do you listen to the Songs to Sing in the Shower playlist on Spotify…..on repeat?
Do you often catch yourself talking to dogs in a baby or high-pitched voice in public?
Have you been searching for a volunteer opportunity you can do from home?
WE WANT YOU!
We are looking for outgoing, fun, passionate individuals that have time to donate and that want to create change to help keep families together by ending housing and insurance discrimination. Please read the following volunteer description to see if volunteering with My Pit Bull is Family is the right opportunity for you!
About The Organization
My Pit Bull is Family is a national 501c3 non-profit working to unite all animal lovers with one goal: To end housing and insurance discrimination for dogs & their families. We do this by providing the nation’s largest housing database that accepts all dogs, having critical conversations with property management companies, community outreach & education, and by providing training to law enforcement on canine interactions.
We started in 2011, when a Minneapolis landlord realized that her rentals were part of the select few rentals that allowed all dogs. She launched a bumper sticker campaign with a small team of volunteers in Minneapolis. Since then we have continued to grow! We now have a team of 60+ volunteers across the country and we’re always looking to continue adding to our team!
About Our Volunteers
My Pit Bull is Family volunteers share our work in communities across the country. As a volunteer, you will be an important member of our team and act as a representative of our organization to the community at large. As such, we need people with great communication skills because our volunteers will be talking to people about our organization online, over the phone, and in-person.
The primary responsibility of our volunteers is to make phone calls every month to participate in rental pet policy research. We will be selecting cities across the country to conduct research in. The information collected will identify all-breed-friendly housing for families looking for rental accommodations that will welcome their dogs. With accurate information available, the goal is for no dog to be displaced from their family due to restrictive pet policies and to keep the family together safe at home.
Our volunteers also participate in many community events and fundraisers throughout the year. We encourage volunteers to participate in as many events as they can and to come up with creative ideas for the future.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
- Rental Research Volunteer (National): Each volunteer will be assigned approximately 10 calls per month. Call assignments distributed via email/Google Sheets. Assuming 5 minutes per phone call, the commitment for these calls is approximately 1 hour per month.
- Minneapolis Team Volunteer: Promote and participate in events throughout the Twin Cities and participate in Rental Research calls each month.
- Minneapolis Event Only Volunteer (on call): Promote and participate in events throughout the Twin Cities.
- Rental Research Calls: Each volunteer will be assigned approximately 10 calls per month. Call assignments distributed via email/Google Sheets. Assuming 5 minutes per phone call, the commitment for these calls is approximately 1 hour per month.
- Events: Each event has multiple options for shifts. Volunteers should plan on attending multiple events during the year. Event sign-up sheets are shared in our Minneapolis MPBIF Facebook group. The commitment for events is approximately 20 hours per year.
- Participation in Fall Housing Database Verification Project: Once per calendar year we verify that all our listings have current information. Number of calls required depends on number of active volunteers.
- Social Media: Promote our cause on social media by liking and sharing our posts (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram) to raise awareness of our organization, fundraisers, events, and general information.
- Participation in Advocacy Campaigns: Volunteers are encouraged to participate in advocacy campaigns such as joining us in introducing legislation during 2018 legislative session.
- Communication: Check-in with Facebook group at least once per week and interact with/comment on posts when requested.
- Activity Reporting: Track and share time spent and details of tasks completed in Vologistics.
- Remaining Active: 2/3 participation per quarter is required to remain an active volunteer. Making monthly calls in 2 of the 3 months per quarter and (for Minneapolis volunteers only) 15 of the 20 required hours per year maintains an active status.
- Professionalism: Conduct yourself in a positive, welcoming, appropriate, and ethical manner at all times when participating in conversations with community members and always stay on message for My Pit Bull is Family.
- Nationwide: The total commitment for nationwide volunteers is approximately 15 hours per year (1 hr/mo for housing calls, 2 hrs/yr database verification, and weekly Facebook group interaction).
- Minneapolis: The total commitment for Minneapolis volunteers is approximately 35 hours per year (20 hrs/yr for local event attendance, 1 hr/mo for housing calls, 2 hrs/yr database verification, and weekly Facebook group interaction)
- On-Call Event Volunteer: Commitment to Minneapolis area events as availability exists.
List of accounts, equipment, and skills needed to perform responsibilities
- Facebook account and Facebook Messenger (for access to group communication)
- Email account (as a communication option second to Facebook)
- Access to a telephone with long-distance calling capability
- Access to a computer with internet with internet connection
- Communication skills (written and verbal)
- Comfort speaking on the telephone and in person at events
- Comfort using Google Docs & Sheets
- Comfort using Google Slides & Forms