North Minneapolis Pet Resource Center Advocate
Shifts Available: Tuesday & Thursday 4:30-8:30 PM & Saturday 10:30 – 2:30 PM
*Our NMPRC is not wheelchair accessible. At this time stairs are required to utilize the restroom in the basement.*
North Minneapolis Pet Resource Center Advocates serve as an organization and community resource in our NMPRC by working directly with volunteers and community members to help people find or obtain the resources they need with compassion and without judgment. Through our North Minneapolis Pet Resource Center, our talented team members provide a direct response to pet owners by sharing information and resources, identifying barriers, assessing needs, providing consultation, support and follow-through with compassion and care.
- Attend NMPRC Advocate shifts at least twice per month
- Act as a resource to connect pet owners with existing resources and to troubleshoot issues regarding housing, ongoing care, access to resources etc.
- Participate in NMPRC Team & MPBIF Volunteer meetings as needed
- Assist with planning and executing Community Pet Wellness vaccine/microchip clinics
- Create and maintain community resource/information hubs in google drive and to be distributed in an accessible manner
- Provide feedback on data collection practices and program procedures as needed
- Build and maintain extensive knowledge of community resources, animal welfare organizations, animal control ordinances, and appropriate standards of care, to effectively help pet owners make informed decisions regarding their pet’s identified needs with compassion, empathy, and a desire to help.
- Process all daily paperwork, deposits, and other essential processes with accuracy and attention to detail.
- Advocate on behalf of clients and pet families for services, basic needs, and other related issues.
- Provide direct service in the form of pet supplies and other items made available at NMPRC
- Perform other duties and special projects, as assigned, or needed.
- Lift 30 – 50 lbs
Performance Factors and Necessary Skills:
Resourcefulness: Find innovative solutions to obstacles and actively go above and beyond to help owners retain their pets or, if appropriate, create a plan for surrender that best assists the owner and the animal. Able to pivot and address change on an ongoing basis and act as a good steward of available and limited resources.
Social and Emotional Learning: Accurately recognize and regulate the influence of emotions, thoughts, and behaviors effectively, even in the face of highly emotional situations. Understand and empathize with others from diverse backgrounds and cultures and develop healthy and appropriate relationships through compassion and professionalism.
Accountability: Assume responsibility for successfully accomplishing objectives and set high standards of performance for self and others. Take personal ownership in the department’s positive and negative outcomes of work and take action to improve circumstances without instructions to do so.
Communication and Contact: Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside of the organization, have tact and excellent communication and customer service skills. Maintain confidentiality and convey a positive and professional image to the public and amongst the team.
Commitment to Excellence: Actively look for opportunities for improvement and growth within daily operations and processes. Challenge the status-quo, openly embrace change, and develop opportunities to improve efficiencies and effectiveness. Demonstrate the highest level of care and compassion for all team members, community members, and animals.